Tuesday 17 June 2008

Busy Busy Busy


Work is increasingly hectic at the moment as the end of the school year is only weeks (2 1/2) away. It is only since I began to teach that I have remembered the excitement of looking forward to the holidays. All my classes have their practical exam this week - lets guess how many will have no ingredients!

I had intended to make the peppermint ring for a party last Saturday as S and I are dieting and making it for home would have been too much of a temptation. However, the party was canned as the weather forecast was bad (in the event the weather was lovely - ironic) so I opted to make some mini peppermint rings for the boys and freeze the rest of the choux for another time.

I have not used milk in a choux pastry before but it all came out ok. The buns were nicely risen and I dried them out in a slow oven until they were crisp. I used vanilla instead of peppermint in the cream as small boy is not fond of mint. I made a simple chocolate sauce of 1oz butter, 2oz unsweetened chocolate and 1 Tbs of golden syrup which was suitably glossy and bittersweet. The reaction

Small Boy - I would like those chocolate things again tonight
me - they're all gone
SB - What!!? That is so unfair, typical (teenage rant)
Me - does that mean you liked them...................sweetie .....speak to me

8 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Haha - I think the searching for more is definitely a good sign.

ostwestwind said...

Great looking ring, well done

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Susie Homemaker said...

I think that means he liked them! Great job - it looks so good!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

It's so nice when the kids like the dessert too to help eat them up. Good idea to make just a few!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

It's so nice when the kids like the dessert too to help eat them up. Good idea to make just a few!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jules Someone said...

Hehehe. Those look lovely!

noskos said...

Looking good!!

Jaime said...

beautiful mini ring! sounds like it was well enjoyed!