Thursday 26 June 2008

A goose walked over my Parmesan


I was thinking, chicken with parmesan - that's what we'll have for supper - where can I find a nice recipe - Oh Look - a Barefoot Contessa testing blog - Oh Look - Parmesan Chicken - OOOOH SPOOKY. And that is when the goose trampled down my spine. I had chicken and parmesan and I made some dried crumbs and went out into the vegetable garden and found chard and spinach leaves for the salad. I even had lemons for the vinaigrette.

I do love a nice crumbed chicken breast. I often beat them out to cook quickly with a herb butter or salsa verde - I have been teaching this at school with a garlic and parlsey butter and crushed new potatoes but I think this would be great recipe to teach them how to coat something. Personally I think that the recipe could use a little more parmesan, but my husband, S, thought that there was enough. I browned the chicken in the pan and then finished it in the oven - it came out beautifully juice and was a big hit with S and little son. Big son had gone out - no surprise there. I have saved his chicken breast to have with some bacon in a club sandwich tomorrow. My first Barefoot Contessa book, BC at home, has nice pictures of stuffed ciabattas which we have been trying out this week. The goat cheese with roasted peppers, red onions and pesto one was really nice. Anyway, here is the Parmesan Chicken post - try it and see for yourself.

Barefoot Contessa Parmesan Chicken

6 small chicken breast fillets
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used Maldon Sea Salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 1/4 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
Unsalted butter
Good olive oil
Salad greens for 6, washed and spun dry
1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette, recipe follows

Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4-inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.

Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly.

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. This is where I browned the breasts briefly in the pan and then finished them in the oven for about 8 minutes. I only used olive oil and that fairly sparingly as S is dieting. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. Toss the salad greens with lemon vinaigrette. Place a mound of salad on each hot chicken breast. Serve with extra grated Parmesan. We had new potatoes with this and also some marinated tomato and onion salad

Lemon Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Yield: 6 servings

3 comments:

Christine said...

Oh this looks delicious! Popping it in the oven is what I am going to do next time. Great job!

Prudy said...

Looks lovely and thanks for the fat saving tip of a quick saute and finish in the oven.

Roberthussy said...

I hate to throw things away, so when I can find a good use for something and not have to add to send it to the landfill, I get a nice feeling of doing something positive for our environment.
While I was on pinterest a few weeks ago, I found this really cool idea of what to do with those empty parmesan cheese containers. The bottoms I already use to hold pens and pencils on my computer desk, but I never really had a use for the lids until now.









SEOServices