Monday 21 April 2008

Bill's Big Carrot Cake

Bill's Big Carrot Cake



Carrot cake is not something I grew up with. Of late it has become more common here in England but I would think of it as an American creation. When I do have carrot cake I like my cake full of bits and bobs so this recipe suited me. It is also lower in saturated fat than a cake made in England as we would use butter instead of sunflower oil and that, combined with the high fibre almost makes it health food .............................. well nearly.

I made two 9" cakes and split them as I do not have 3 nine inch tins of exactly the same dimensions. I sandwiched the layers with the cream cheese frosting and then covered the outside. We made carrot cakes at Easter in school classes and this icing is much thicker than the recipe we used and therefore easier to spread. The cake was delicious but again I found it too sweet - I think I will make the cake again as a loaf without the frosting.


14 comments:

Amy said...

Great job! Looks wonderful. I agree that it would be great even without the frosting!

mimi said...

your cake came out looking great! did you put coconut on top of the frosting? that may be why it was so sweet too.

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

I'm thinking without the frosting, this batter could be transformed into some really interesting muffins or tea cakes ...

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Jayne said...

Very pretty!

Mari said...

Your cake looks beautiful, well done!

Marie Rayner said...

Your cake looks fantastic! Well done!!!

Mary said...

love the cake and the polka dots!

Annemarie said...

I like the idea of making it into a bread, that would be fabulous!

Robin said...

Looks delicious. I love how you put coconut all over the outside of the cake.

CB said...

Lovely cake. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Melissa said...

Looks great! Love the polka dots in the background.

LyB said...

Your cake looks delightful! I was thinking this recipe would make great muffins, without the frosting, and substituting a bit of apple sauce for some of the oil. Very versatile. :)

Chris said...

Wonderful! I like the idea of making it into a loaf...

Gretchen Noelle said...

This would be very delicious as a loaf...maybe toasted...for breakfast. Now you have me dreaming!